Challenge away. I'm up for the discourse. When I have more time, I'll return to respond more fully but I appreciate your contribution to the conversation vs. advocating for the deplatforming of dissenting opinions.
My off-the-cuff thoughts on your response:
- The myopic fixation on COVID as the only (or even primary) societal threat represents either an immature failure to recognize the complexity of the situation, the myopia of privilege, or the exploitation of a tragic situation to serve a political agenda.
- To that end, this quote from your piece “It means insisting that the priority during the pandemic must be preserving human life at the expense of profit.” is a gross mischaracterization — as if delayed cancer treatments, lack of access to therapy for special needs children, miles long lines at food banks, increase suicides, DV, and child abuse, and people plunged into abject poverty qualify as “profit.” And those aren’t “artifical” threats. They are happening in real time. Ask me how I know.
- The conventional media narrative drives fear in service of social and political agendas, as you have aptly exemplified with your melodramatic description of “attrition”. Claiming the opposite — that those standing in opposition to lockdowns are responsible for the instillation of pathological fear, and not the people suggesting that our leaders and 50% of their fellow citizens are trying to literally kill them— is the intellectual equivalent of “I know you are but what am I?”
- The most vulnerable among us also carry the highest burden from the economic, social, and physical effects of the lockdowns, and yet those vulnerabilities are dismissed, I can only assume because they’re not a convenient addition to your messaging.
- Your claim that I should not be censored is not consistent with your dramatic statement of “alarm” that it has been widely disseminated, but I’ll choose to take you at your word. A more consistent statement would be “I’m glad your terrible idea was elevated so that it could be more quickly vigorously challenged.”
- None of the issues you address are the focus of the article I asked to have reinstated, but I’m happy to provide you with a platform to promote yours for the aforementioned reason.